Monday, September 16, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 9/16/13

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is an opportunity for everyone to share their book journeys: where we've been for the week and where we plan to go next. To learn more about It's Monday! What Are You Reading? with a kidlit focus, jump over to Jen Vincent's blog, Teach Mentor Texts, and Kellee Moye's blog, Unleashing Readers.


http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-31S4x0H5Lzs/UcZ4hKabgOI/AAAAAAAAFeU/ovdom1uRi4c/s1600/IMWAYR.jpg 
I wish I could say it was a good reading week at the Beckers...not so. I struggled to get in the reading I wanted to and when we left town this past weekend I managed to leave the house without the sacred book bag. Sigh...I think we need to get a library card at Grandma's house so even if mommy forgets the book bag we still have books to read. 

Here's where Maddie & I did journey this week: 
Periodically, Maddie's daddy is around for books at bedtime.

 Here's where I traveled this week:

Marty McGuire
Finished as part of Oregon Battle of the Books for grades 3-5. Liked it so much that I added Marty McGuire Digs Worms to my TBR. I dig a girl who likes to be in the dirt.

The Tale of Despereaux
LOVED this as an #audiobook. The narrator was AH-MAZING! It's on the Oregon Battle of the Books list for grades 3-5 so I'll be reading it as well, but in the meantime just know that I fell in love with a small mouse with large ears.
  Started the journey, but need to finish:

Who Was Neil Armstrong?
Part of Oregon Battle of the Books for grades 3-5 
Turtle in Paradise
I will actually be taking a short break from OBOB to read this in time for #virtualbookclub on 9/23/13.
Esperanza Rising
This is my #audiobook for the week.    


I attended my school district's "First Thursdays" book club (held on the 2nd Tuesday since school started for us two weeks ago). The group has been meeting for years but somehow I missed the memo...literally. I'm happy to be part of the group now and will review at least one book per week for the group. Here's what I'm reviewing this week:
Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug!

Sadly, I didn't make my writing goals this past week but I have high hopes for this week gaining perspective from a blog post on Two Writing Teachers about carving out time to write.
 
What are you reading and writing this week?

2 comments:

  1. Your middle grade selections for the week are excellent. I loved Esperanza Rising and Turtle in Paradise is a nice historical fiction piece too. Tale of Despereaux is so sweet and Marty McGuire makes me smile. What a fun week you had with a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Crystal! The audio for Esperanza Rising is amazing! My Spanish pronunciation is horrible so the narrator makes the culture and Spanish real for me. I was in tears today as the family home was burning and Esperanza and her mother are making a decision to leave.

      Delete