Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Slice of Life - Finally, Some Time With My Girl

  A Slice of Life is a weekly blog hosted by Two Writing Teachers, Ruth Ayers and Stacey Shubitz. Click on Two Writing Teachers to be taken to their website to learn more about this week's 
Slice of Life.
 
*****     *****     *****     *****     *****
 
Today was the first real start to my summer. 
 
Ahhhh... relief!
 
Summer is a time to read & write. 
 
It's a time to run around with my hair in a pony tail and without anything on my face but some Burt's Bees on my lips. 

More importantly, summer means uninterrupted time with Maddie. 


Today, Maddie and I had no real schedule. We had a leisurely morning of cuddles and hot cereal. We then made our way to the outdoor swim center in Corvallis. Since Maddie is four we are able to get into the aquatic center at 11:30 a.m. instead of 1:00 (thankfully, because with 90+ degree temperatures everyone was at the pool today). I tend to supervise Maddie closely so I was in the pool following her around as she meandered about. At four, she wants to know that I am close, yet she really wants to have the freedom to move about on her own.

After swimming we enjoyed frozen yogurt together and spent time chit chatting.

When we got home, Maddie played in her pool with a couple of friends who are going to spend part of July playing with us while their mom works.

As I look back on the day, nothing major happened, but I realize that today I actually had time to just watch Maddie; time to just listen to Maddie; and time to appreciate the person that she is becoming.

Quality time with Maddie is the BEST way to begin my summer break. I am appreciative that I have this next month to soak in every Maddie moment I can.

3 comments:

  1. Your first real summer day sounds perfect. And your company sounds perfect, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you found such insight within such a "normal" day. Wish everyone would find those kind of joys -- what a better world we'd live in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this part..."...but I realize that today I actually had time to just watch Maddie; time to just listen to Maddie; and time to appreciate the person that she is becoming."

    ReplyDelete