Friday, August 16, 2013

Poetry Friday - Dogku

 
This week's Poetry Friday is hosted by Steps and Staircases and can be found by linking here:http://stepsandstaircases.tumblr.com/ 

Note: My apologies with any blog post irregularities. I'm posting with a Blogger app while away from home & I am still trying to get used to it.

Andrew Clements has long been one of my favorite middle grade chapter book authors. Imagine my happy surprise when looking for picture books at my local public library for my daughter and I find Dogku. Ahhhhhhh...
Title: Dogku 
Author: Andrew Clements
Illustrator: Tim Bowers
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: 2007
Genre: Picture Book, Poetry
Goodreads Summary: A homeless dog picks the right door and finds a loving family who takes him in.

I loved this book because it helped me see using haiku differently than I was accustomed to (use in writing poetry about nature). Each page is written in haiku and tells the story of a stray puppy who finds a home & a name. Haiku is used to describe the dog's day while he waits for "his kids" to come home from school.
In the author's note, Andrew Clements briefly explains haiku as a simple poem of 17 syllables-3 lines in the format of 5 syllables/7 syllables/5 syllables. His describes a haiku "like a small vase, a small container. Choosing a container can help you pick the perfect words and arrange them just right." (Love this!)
I leave you with my vacation haiku.

traveling together
through windy slow moving paths
rare family time

No comments:

Post a Comment